At the Resource Center located at C109, you can file your electronic FAFSA, TAP application, obtain a PIN number, request IRS tax transcripts, apply for a LaGuardia Foundation Scholarship, and complete the Federal Work Study Orientation.
Dependent Student(s): Living with Parents/under 24 years of age
- Parent’s 2012 Income Tax returns and all W-2 forms
- Parent’s Marital status, if married, date is required
- Parent’s Social Security number and date of birth
- Savings or Checking account balance
- If Parent’s Own/Rental Property, must have property value (Schedule E, Net Value) Student(s)
- Student Social Security number.
- Student Income tax returns for 2012, if any.
- Student Citizenship proof (If student has green card or asylum number).
- If Income from Foreign Country, provide proof.
Independent Student(s): Over 24 Years of age or married or claiming a dependent
- Student/spouse social security number
- 2012 Income tax returns and W-2 forms
- If eligible non-citizen (green card or asylum number)
- If Own/Rental Property, must have property value (Schedule E, Net Value)
- Savings or Checking Account balance
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool makes it easier to complete your FAFSA application by authorizing the IRS to release the necessary income information to populate the application. You will have the option to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you fill out the application. To use the tool, all parties must have filed their 2012 tax return at least two weeks prior to filling out the FAFSA.
Students who don’t use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and are selected for verification will be required to provide an IRS Tax Transcript.
Obtaining IRS Tax Return Transcripts
To obtain an IRS Transcript you must request it online at www.irs.gov or by calling 1-800-908-9946. Transcript should arrive within 5-10 business days after it is available for processing.
The Book Advance Program
Students eligible for Pell in Fall 2013 may receive a book advance check if they submitted their FAFSA by August 1, 2013 and there is a balance on record after tuition and fees are deducted.
You may use this advance (a partial refund of your Fall 2013 Pell Grant) to buy your books for the semester.
A check will be generated and sent to you via mail, direct deposit to your bank account or deposited onto your CUNY Scholars support card.
Check disbursement dates are:
- September 5 for eligible students with records processed by July 15, 2013
- September 11 for eligible students with records processed by August 1, 2013
For the full list of Fall 2013 Pell disbursement dates please visit LaGuardia’s financial aid page at www.lagcc.cuny.edu/sfs.
Receiving Your Refund Checks
Avoid lost checks and delays by signing up for the CUNY Scholar Support Prepaid Card or direct deposit.
CUNY Scholar Support Prepaid Card
This is not a credit card. It’s a prepaid MasterCard accepted at any store or ATM where MasterCard debit is accepted. Student payments will be automatically deposited to the card and can be used immediately.
Sign up for the CUNY Scholar Support Prepaid Card at www.cuny.edu/scholarssupport or in the Student Financial Services Resource Center.
Direct Deposit through Any Bank
Arrange your Financial Aid to go directly to your bank account. Simply complete and submit the Direct Deposit Request/Authorization Form to the Bursar Window in room MB55.
Forms are available at the Bursar window and online at www.laguardia.edu/Financial-Aid/forms-to-download
Avoid a Pell Overpayment: Effects of Withdrawing on your Title IV Aid
Withdrawal period begins September 24, 2013
If you withdraw from one or more of your classes after the first day of classes but before the official withdrawal date (listed in the schedule of classes) and remain with at least 1.0 tuition unit through 5.5 tuition units, the amount of Pell funds you receive for the session will be reduced. If this amount is less than the amount you charged or credited towards tuition/fees and a book advance, the remaining balance will be due you immediately to the Bursar's Office.
Steps to Check Your Financial Aid on CUNYfirst
- Log in to your CUNYFirst account at www.laguardia.edu/CUNYFirst.
- Click to expand the Self Service options and select Student Center.
- Under the Finances section, click Account Inquiry.
On the Account Inquiry screen you will look for your Pending Financial Aid. You can also see your account activity, current balance after Financial Aid, a detailed list of charges, payments and refund amount.