Program for Deaf Adults (PDA) can arrange to have sign language interpreters for mainstream academic classes, mainstream continuing education classes, and other college activities or events. All requests for interpreters are placed through PDA’s Coordinator of Interpreting Services. Click on the following links for information on how to request an interpreter for your particular needs:
What does Program for Deaf Adults (PDA) provide interpreters for?
* PDA will make arrangements for interpreting services for mainstream continuing education classes and workshops.
How do I request an interpreter?
* When you register for your class or workshop, inform the Adult and Continuing Education office (www.lagcc.cuny.edu/ace) that you will need interpreters. * After you register for your class or workshop, you will need to have an intake interview in PDA to determine your need for accommodations. To make an appointment for an interview, contact Paul Carlson, Coordinator of PDA Continuing Education classes (917-832-1202 VP or firstname.lastname@example.org). * You will need to provide documentation of your disability (audiogram).
When should I register and request an interpreter?
* Register as soon as possible and request interpreting services when you register. * PDA needs at least four weeks to ensure interpreting arrangements for classes that meet multiple times during the quarter. * PDA will make every effort to provide “reasonable accommodations” as required by law, but cannot guarantee services for last-minute requests.
Do I need ACCES-VR support to receive interpreting services?
* ACCES-VR support is not required to receive interpreting services, but it is strongly recommended to assist you with your continuing education. * Inform the Adult and Continuing Education office if you are receiving support from ACCES-VR, and tell them the name of your counselor and the office where your counselor is located.
Is there a charge for interpreting services?
* Interpreting services are provided at no charge to students.
For further information about Interpreting Services, please contact Jane Rizzuto, Coordinator of Interpreting Services
Program for Deaf Adults
Mailing Address:31-10 Thomson AvenueRoom C-203Long Island City, NY 11101
Location:29-10 Thomson AvenueLong Island City, NY 11101
(718) 482-5324 Voice (917) 832-1207 VP (718) 609-2069 Fax
Sue Livingston, PhD Professor, Basic Skills (718) 482-5621 Voice/TTY email@example.com
Kim Lucas, MA Academic Advisor (917) 832-1203 VP firstname.lastname@example.org
Jane Rizzuto, MBA Coordinator Interpreter Services (718) 482-5309 Voice email@example.com