Program for Deaf Adults (PDA) can arrange to have sign language interpreters for mainstream academic classes, mainstream continuing education classes, and other college activities or events. All requests for interpreters are placed through PDA’s Coordinator of Interpreting Services. Click on the following links for information on how to request an interpreter for your particular needs:
What does Program for Deaf Adults (PDA) provide interpreters for?
PDA provides interpreters for: * Mainstream academic classes * Meetings with professors or administrators * Field trips and other meetings or events that are course requirement
How do I request an interpreter?
* All requests for interpreters should be submitted to the Coordinator of Interpreting Services in the PDA office, Room C203. * For mainstream classes, you should submit a copy of your course registration form to the Coordinator. * For situations other than regular classes, you should come to the PDA office to check for interpreter availability, and then fill out an “Interpreter Services Request Form.”
When should I request an interpreter?
* All interpreter requests should be made as soon as you know the class or event date to allow enough time to make the necessary arrangements. * PDA will make every effort to provide “reasonable accommodations” as required by law, but cannot guarantee services for last-minute requests.
What if I want to participate in a campus club or activity?
* You should inform the department who is sponsoring the club or activity that you would like to participate and will need interpreters (PDA can help you identify the right person to (contact). * You should also submit an “Interpreting Services Request Form” so the Coordinator can make arrangements with the sponsoring department.
Do I need VESID support to receive interpreting services?
* VESID support is not required to receive interpreting services, but it is strongly recommended to assist you with planning and paying for your education. * Inform PDA if you are receiving support from VESID, and tell us the name of your counselor and the office where your counselor is located.
Is there a charge for interpreting services?
* Interpreting services are provided at no charge to students.
For further information about Interpreting Services, please contact Jane Rizzuto, Coordinator of Interpreting Services
Program for Deaf Adults
Mailing Address:31-10 Thomson AvenueRoom C-203Long Island City, NY 11101
Location:29-10 Thomson AvenueLong Island City, NY 11101
(718) 482-5324 Voice (917) 832-1207 VP (718) 609-2069 Fax
Sue Livingston, PhD Professor, Basic Skills (718) 482-5621 Voice/TTY firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Lucas, MA Academic Advisor (917) 832-1203 VP email@example.com
Jane Rizzuto, MBA Coordinator Interpreter Services (718) 482-5309 Voice firstname.lastname@example.org