Serving in Florida
- Varicose----adj. Designated blood or lymph vessels that are abnormally
dilated, knotted, and tortuous.
- Agape----adv. A state wonder or amazement often with mouth wide open.
- Solipsism----n. Philosophy The theory that the self is the only thing
that can be known and verified.
- Offal---n. Waste parts especially of a butchered animal
- Votive---adj. Given or dedicated in fulfillment of a vow or pledge.
A votive offering.
- Mephitic---n. An offensive smell.
- Barbara Ehrenreich does not
defend her friend, George, who
is accused of stealing. She compares
her loss of courage to the behavior
of prisoners of war who lose their
ability to defend their rights
and the rights of others. Write
a paper discussing how the work
place enforces conformity. What
are your observations? Have you
ever ignored another person’s
plight at work just to keep from
- Write a research paper on immigration from Eastern Europe. Are many
immigrants sponsored to come to this country? What barriers do these immigrants
face when seeking employment, education, and citizenship?
- Write a research paper on the wages and benefits of a restaurant chain
like Friendly’s or Howard Johnson’s. Compare wages and health
care benefits. What are the weekly earnings of a full time waitress at
one of these restaurants?