[ Go to the CPP MAIN PAGE ]
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What resources are available in the College Prep Program?
The College Prep Program provides information and advice to prospective students about how college studies can help them meet their personal and professional goals, including individual assistance with an academic counselor and access to computer and Internet services for career information and for college selection.
2. How can the College Prep counselor assist me with my college plans?
The College Prep counselor acts as a consultant to the college entrance process. His main job is to provide the information for you to research the college of your choice. The counselor provides information on potential career choices, college majors, college selection, and financial aid. The counselor will guide you to resources for college studies.
3. Who is a new student?
If you've never attended college before, you are a first-time college student. Even if you earned college credits in high school, you are still a first-time college student.
4. Who is a transfer student?
If you have attended another college before and have credits to transfer to your new school, you are a transfer student.
5. Who is an international student? How will my immigration status affect my chances of enrollment in college or CUNY?
If you hold or will need a temporary student visa (F-1 visa) while enrolled at college, you are an international student. Immigrants (permanent U.S. residents or resident aliens), citizens, refugees, and resident aliens are not international students. The College Prep counselor can help you understand the relationship between immigrant status and college applications. CUNY has an open admissions policy. Admissions standards vary according to the student’s immigration status.
6. I would like to improve my English skills, are there programs that can assist me?
Yes, the college offers programs for students of all levels who wish to improve their English. For more information visit: Also, students who wish to improve their English before entering LaGuardia can enroll in the Immersion Program. For information about the Immersion Program, call 718-482-5966.
7. Do I need to take the TOEFL, and what scores must I have?
If you graduated from a high school outside of the United States where English is not the official language, you usually have to take the TOEFL exam. Many community colleges require a TOEFL score of 450 (or 133 on the computer-based test). Senior colleges generally require a TOEFL score of 500 (or 173 on the computer-based test). Graduate schools typically require a TOEFL score of 600 (or 250 on the computer based test). TOEFL score requirements vary from school to school, so it’s important that you check with the individual college to find out what their policy is.
For CUNY undergraduate schools, U.S. citizens and permanent residents do NOT have to take the TOEFL exam.
All international students or non-residents of the United States must submit TOEFL scores of 450 or above (computer-based test scores of 133 or above), unless you are from a country where English is the official language. If you have questions about your English competency, College Prep can assist you.
8. Do I need to take the ACT or SAT, and what scores must I have?
Check with the individual school to see what standardized tests are required.
9. Can I receive Financial Aid?
Students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible to receive financial aid (Paying for College). If you are an international student, you are not eligible. However, you may qualify for some scholarships.
10. I want to attend LaGuardia and then attend a 4-year institution. Will my credits transfer?
Yes. However, the number of credits that transfer to another school varies, depending on the individual’s grades, the 4-year institution, and the program the individual wishes to study. For information regarding transfer credits within the CUNY system visit: For information about transferring to colleges outside of CUNY visit the LaGuardia Transfer Services:
11. I graduated high school in another country. Will this affect my chances of attending college in the United States?
No. Simply have your high school transcripts along with a translation in English mailed to you unopened, and then include them with your college application.
12. Is the GED the same as a high school diploma?
Yes. GED means General Equivalency Diploma.
13. I am an international student with questions about American culture. Is there any information available to me?
Yes, information about making your transition into American culture and college life can be found at:
14. I have a question that is not here, how can I get my specific question answered?
Information is provided at LaGuardia's main web page: Or, e-mail the College Prep Program:, and someone will reply as soon as possible.
15. What is the different between "major," "career," and "degree"?
A major is the area of study you want to focus on. Some examples of majors are: economics, business administration, nursing, and computer science.
A career is an occupation or job. It refers to the work you do after you have graduated from college.
A degree is the level of education you’ve completed. For example, there are associate’s degrees (community college), bachelor’s degrees (4-year college) and master’s and doctorate degrees (graduate or professional school).
- - -
LaGuardia home | CPP main | Who we are | Visit us | FAQ | Contact us
Exploring careers | Applying to college | Paying for college | Scholarship Search
Scholarships | Grants | Work Study | Loans