For press information, please contact:
Randy Fader-Smith at (718) 482-5985 and
Susan Lyddon at (718) 482-5061
LaGuardia Community College is Holding a Free Deferred Action
Application Assistance Event on September 14
Students who Wish to Attend Must Register
Long Island City, NY—September 10, 2012—For LaGuardia Community College students who are undocumented and eligible to apply for deferred action, a form of immigration relief, the College is holding a free application assistance event on September 14.
The event is by appointment only and registration is limited to the first 100 people who sign up using the registration link. Students who are interested in attending must join CUNY Citizenship Now’s Deferred Action listserv by visiting www.cuny.edu/dreamers. Those who sign up will receive an invitation for the event and a link to register. Upon registering, students will receive materials to help them prepare for the event.
Students may be eligible if they:
• Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
• Came to the United States before reaching their 16th birthday;
• Have continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
• Were physically present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making their request for deferred action;
• Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or their lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
• Have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are currently in school, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the U.S.; and
• Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
The event, which will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., will be held in the College’s E-building Atrium at 31-10 Thomson Avenue, Long Island City. For more information, please contact the College’s International Student Services at:
(718) 482- 5145.
LaGuardia Community College located in Long Island City, Queens, was founded in 1971 as a bold experiment in opening the doors of higher education to all, and we proudly carry forward that legacy today. LaGuardia educates students through over 50 degree, certificate and continuing education programs, providing an inspiring place for students to achieve their dreams. Upon graduation, LaGuardia students’ lives are transformed as family income increases 17%, and students transfer to four-year colleges at three times the national average. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), LaGuardia is a nationally recognized leader among community colleges for boundary-breaking success educating underserved students. At LaGuardia we imagine new ideas, create new curriculum and pioneer programs to make our community and our country stronger. Visit www.laguardia.edu to learn more.